5.02.2008

being alone

if gas was cheaper, i'd be taking mid-night drives around the 270 loop all the time. 
there's something about driving alone, in the summer, in the middle of the night, alone.
for some, this has absolutely no appeal. 
for me, it's a dream.
kind of like my dream vacation: a week by myself on some beach somewhere with no phone, no computer and no contact with any one person i know. just me, my bible, my journal and the beach. i would love it.

so i don't know what it was about tonight that made me think that the world needs to move slower.
maybe it was the fact that there was no one on the roads.
maybe it was the 5 minute train i had to wait for on orange rd.
maybe it was being amazed by God for making beautiful nights.

on my last night in costa rica this spring break i woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the bathroom. 
i hated this.
it meant i had to walk outside with my headlight looking on the ground for some kind of spiders or something.
and normally i had to kill some insect in the bathroom first.

but this last night, i looked up at the sky.
and in costa rica, in the jungle, you can see more stars than you ever thought you could see.
and i stood there, almost falling over, looking as hard as i could up at the beautiful stars
thinking...
this is incredible. this is God. this is how good He is.
why do i not stop sometimes to look at the night sky and be thankful?
why do i not slow down to remember God's faithfulness?

what's the arizona sky going to be like?
what's the african sky going to be like?

God, help me appreciate the sky and the slowness of life wherever i am...

No comments: